Communications Research Scientist
The Center for Insurance Policy and Research (CIPR) division of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) has an exciting opportunity for a Communications Research Scientist (CRS).
We are looking for a team member who would enjoy working for an organization that strives every day to support the public good and make a difference.
This position is based in the NAIC’s state-of-the-art offices in Town Pavilion in the heart of downtown Kansas City which includes great restaurants and top-notch entertainment venues. This is a full-time hybrid position in a positive and flexible environment. The ideal candidate should be excited to apply scientific findings to the field and motivated to have a real impact not only on individual behavior, but potentially on state and/or nationwide messaging policy and implementation.
The CRS will report to the Center for Insurance Policy and Research Director in Kansas City, MO focused on enhancing communication of any number of risks related to key NAIC initiatives through communication science research efforts.
- Developing and implementing an applied communications research program to address two key components of NAIC communication strategy:
- Identify optimal methods for tailoring NAIC communication to reach intended audiences, and
- Evaluate the effectiveness of such NAIC communication on jointly to-be-determined effectiveness outcomes.
- Implementing experimental and survey research to carry out requisite research activities through an annual research budget, with the potential availability of additional annual funds to enable the hiring of a post-doctoral research fellow or research assistant.
- Frequent interaction and collaboration with NAIC staff involved in supporting regulatory communication efforts, such as the NAIC Communications Director, will also be expected.
- Working in collaboration with NAIC members to employ both experimental methods and survey-based field testing of actual persuasive messages.
- Implementing and/or advising on direct-to-consumer and coordinated multi-state communication efforts with NAIC member states’ Public Information Offices (PIOs).
- Performing high-quality, applied research to inform and drive NAIC communication efforts. Publishing of this research is also expected.
Skills and Abilities:
- Sets up the data infrastructure for projects.
- Takes analytical objectives and defines data requirements.
- Explores and examines data from multiple disparate sources.
- Develops and upgrades skills in evolving data and data related technologies.
- Develops data solutions to identify and analyze patterns in data to produce actionable analytics.
- Implements a data analysis framework to analyze and test models effectively.
- Influences product development, strategy, and roadmap prioritization, and serves as an ambassador of communication research science to the rest of the organization.
- Other special projects as assigned.
- Well-versed in risk communication literature and methodologies, given the expectation that this individual will apply such knowledge to NAIC communication initiatives.
- Oversee and implement research projects that employ different methodological approaches, both quantitative and qualitative in nature from a mixed-methods perspective.
- Engage with various internal and external stakeholders across multiple insurance domains (e.g., life, health, property).
- Strong project management skills and a high level of initiative are a must.
Post-doctoral or research assistant if applicable.
Offer range $103,089 - $129,143, commensurate with education and experience.
Why Work at the NAIC/NIPR?
The NAIC is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
For consideration, please apply online at:
Applicants for all positions are considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, military or veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
- Hybrid work schedule
- Flexible Work Environment
- 37.5 Hour Work Week
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Referral Bonuses
- Choice of Insurance Plans
- Vacation Buy Back
- Infants in the Work Place
- Adoption Assistance
- Parental Leave
- Employee Recognition Programs
- Days Off for Community Service
- Student Loan Repayment Program
- Fitness Center
Communications Research Scientist
||National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
||Kansas City, MO
|Posting Start Date:
||Minimum Education and/or experience required:
PhD in a relevant field (e.g., communication, behavioral and decision-making sciences) with an existing publication record and/or associated 3-5 years of experience preferred.
||This listing expires on: 10/16/2022